‘Tis the season. No, the holidays are not upon us yet, but Medicare Open enrollment started on October 15th and runs through December 7th. If you miss the Open Enrollment deadline, you will probably have to wait a full year before you can make changes to your plan. So, it is important to plan ahead and not wait until the last minute to make an important decision such as which Medicare insurance plan is best for you. Even if you are happy with your current plan, there might be something even better out there for you.
How are you going to navigate the enrollment process? You can learn about and enroll in a plan either by contacting the various carriers directly or you can utilize the service of an Independent Broker. If you call a carrier directly, you will likely speak to a sales agent that works for that company exclusively. The advantage of an Independent Broker is that they work for you and can offer you more than just one option when it comes to your Medicare insurance needs. The services of an Independent Broker do not cost you anything as they receive a commission directly from the carrier whose plan they sell to you.
2016 is proving to be a year of change! We are seeing many things change with many plans that may include:
• Original Medicare Premiums, Deductibles and Co-insurance may have changed – how will these changes affect you?
• Medicare Supplement Premiums adjust annually – How much did your plan raise this year?
• Drug formulary changes – Your drug may not be covered at the same copay next year!
• Co-pays and co-insurance on Medicare Advantage Plans (HMO’s) change each year.
• Your Primary Care doctor or Specialist may no longer be contracted with your current plan.
• Your insurance company may have been purchased by another company – How will this affect you?
• Your plan may not be available next year!
It’s hard to know what Medicare insurance plan is the right fit for you. As an Independent Broker, I can help you process all of the information that will be coming your way in order to select the best plan for you. I can be reached by calling 602-575-0622 or email at [email protected].
Yvonne Kudray-Baraban is a Sales Representative and Independent Broker licensed by the State of Arizona who has been specializing in selling Medicare insurance since 1996 and has been a Phoenix resident since 1977.