HonorHealth, a leading Valley healthcare system serving 1.6 million people in the greater Phoenix and Scottsdale area, recently announced the Women’s Heart Health Program at HonorHealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center.
Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women in the United States. However, until now, the treatment of women’s heart disease was based on medical research performed on men. HonorHealth is dedicated to help bridge the gap on gender inequalities of heart health by taking a leading role in identifying female-pattern heart disease and advancing specialized care for women at the Women’s Heart Health Group.
Located on the campus of HonorHealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center, on the first floor by the main entrance, the Women’s Heart Health Group is led by female cardiologist, Christina Reuss, MD, and Mia Chorney, NP.
“We know that only 14% of cardiologists in the United States are female,” said Kim Post, executive vice president and chief operations officer at HonorHealth. “Having highly skilled female clinical leads for our practice will allow a deeper trust of cardiovascular care for all stages of a woman’s life span.”
The Women’s Heart Health Group will provide a full range of treatments and services for heart diseases and other diseases common to women including postpartum heart health, women’s hormone and menopause and arrhythmia. Each patient will leave with a personalized care plan to address many cardiovascular issues a woman may encounter in her lifetime, including coronary artery disease, hypertension, arrhythmias, vascular disease, and other forms of common and complex heart disease.
Women who high-risk pregnancy may also face cardiovascular issues. The HonorHealth team will co-manage high-risk pregnancy and post-pregnancy cardiac care by partnering with your primary obstetrician. Services for this type of medical concern include:
- Pregnancy risk assessment, planning and management for women with pre-existing conditions including congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, valvular heart disease, aortopathy and arrhythmia
- Special consideration of risk factors such as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, fetal growth restriction and autoimmune diseases
- Assumption of care for postpartum cardiac related conditions
- Remote physiologic blood pressure monitoring in pregnancy
Other highly focused services for women’s heart health include:
- Cardiac consultative evaluation, assessment and treatment
- Risk assessment
- Treatment of heart conditions such as spontaneous coronary artery dissection, takotsubo cardiomyopathy, myocardial infarction with nonobstructive coronary arteries, arrhythmias, vascular-related concerns, cancer-related heart complications and more
- Behavioral counseling
- Genetic testing
- Collaboration with registered dieticians, psychologists, bariatric therapists, sleep specialists and more
- Remote physiologic blood pressure and heart rate monitoring
- Clinical research trials
- Women’s heart health classes
- Women’s heart fit exercise program
The location is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For an appointment, please call 480-323-4973 or visit HonorHealth.com/womensheart for more information.