Located in downtown Phoenix, one local organization has been helping thousands of each women year to positively transform their lives by providing education, resources and support. Fresh Start Women’s Foundation began in 1992 as the vision of two sisters’: Pat Petznick and Beverly Stewart. These two sisters wanted to help women reach their full potential through setting personal and professional goals.
In 2002, the Jewell McFarland Lewis Resource Center was built as a refuge for women of all walks of life to access a wide range of services, classes, and programs designed to teach self-confidence, life skills, and career development.
“We see women from every socioeconomic and cultural background, each with unique life experiences,” says President and CEO Susan Berman. “Our goal is to support each woman who comes through our doors and help her with the support and resources she needs most to take the next step on her path forward.”
Women come to Fresh Start from a number of different situations. Some are recently divorced or separated. Others are unemployed, or simply looking for a new start on life. They’re looking for a friendly face, helpful guidance and a chance to become the women they know they can be—all in a place where they can feel safe.
Fresh Start offers a variety of courses and workshops that include:
- Career & Education: Career Exploration; Career Coaching; Mock Interviews; Resume Training; Entrepreneur 101 and more.
- Computer Literacy: Basic Computer Literacy; Google Tools; Basic Microsoft Outlook; Intermediate & Advanced Microsoft Office; Online Banking and more.
- Financial Literacy: Everyday Budgeting; Insurance 101; Homeownership 101; Planning with Investments; Mastering Your Debt and more.
- Personal Development: Assertive Communication; Goal Achievement; Mindful Leadership; Stress Relief; Time Management Essentials and more!
- Family Law Support: Information sessions taught by lawyers and retired judges covering such topics as family court, divorce, child support, immigration and more.
- Support Services: mentorship, closed and open support groups.
- To learn more about services provided by Fresh Start, visit: www.freshstartwomen.org
You Can Support Fresh Start and Honor Your Mom this Mother’s Day:
This year, you can honor your mom with a unique Mother’s Day gift that will last a lifetime! Fresh Start Women’s Foundation has commemorative bricks for sale that you can dedicate to your mother. Customize your brick with a special message to mom, grandma or another significant female role model in your life, and the brick will be laid in the courtyard outside of Fresh Start Women’s Foundation.
Plus, this is a gift you can feel good about! By purchasing a commemorative brick as a Mother’s Day gift this year, you are helping to ensure that women and families in your local community have access to the programs and services that Fresh Start provides.
Bricks can be purchased online at: https://www.freshstartwomen.org/volunteer-and-support/commemorative-brick-donation