This fall, the city of Peoria started the federally mandated redistricting process to redraw district boundaries. Peoria must submit the proposed city council district boundaries by the end of 2021.
New city council district boundaries will be in effect for the August and November 2022 elections. The city has been hosting open house events since August, and this is the last month for residents to weigh in on the process.
There are a handful of in-person and virtual open house events remaining to learn about the redistricting requirements and the online mapping software that will be used to help rebalance the city council districts.
Remaining Redistricting Meetings
• Monday, Nov. 15, 2021, 5-7 p.m., Copper Hills Church, located at 27035 Black Rock Blvd.
• Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2021, 5-7 p.m., Rio Vista Recreation Center, located at 8866 W. Thunderbird Rd.
• Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021, 5-7 p.m., Peoria Community Center, located at 8335 W. Jefferson St.
• Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Pop-Up Peoria, located at 9828 W. Northern Ave., Ste. 1750 (A virtual link will be available for this meeting at peoriaaz.gov/redistricting.)
What is Redistricting?
Redistricting is the process of adjusting the boundaries of voting districts in accordance with population shifts. District lines are redrawn following the completion of each decennial and mid-decennial census count. This is required by city charter and federal law.
• Substantially equal population
• Protect minority voting rights pursuant to the Voting Rights Act
• Be contiguous
Optional District Criteria
• Be compact because it reinforces the ability of residents to relate to each other and their elected representatives.
• Follow visible or man-made boundaries such as geographic features, city, town and county boundaries, and undivided census tracts.
• Not contain more than one master-planned, age-restricted community to best represent all residents.
• Preserve communities of interest and should not unnecessarily divide neighborhoods that have similar socioeconomic, lifestyle or political interests.
For information on redistricting, including upcoming public meetings, visit peoriaaz.gov/redistricting.