North- and southbound Interstate 17 will be closed in north Phoenix overnight Friday, Oct. 18, for interchange construction. The Arizona Department of Transportation advises travelers to expect delays and plan to use detour routes while the closure is in place at Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18, to 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19. Happy Valley Road, the roundabouts and I-17 ramps will remain open.
- Northbound detour: Exit I-17 at Deer Valley Road and use northbound 19th Avenue to westbound Jomax Road.
- Southbound detour: Exit I-17 at Jomax Road and use southbound 19th Avenue to eastbound Deer Valley Road.
Travelers also should plan ahead for the following overnight restrictions on I-17 at Pinnacle Peak Road beginning Sunday, Oct. 20:
- Northbound I-17 will be narrowed to one lane from 10 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 21, and from 10 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22.
- Southbound I-17 will be narrowed to two lanes from 10 p.m. Monday to 5 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22.
- Northbound I-17 will be narrowed to two lanes and southbound I-17 will be narrowed to one lane from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23.
- The traffic signals at Pinnacle Peak Road and I-17 will be out from 11 p.m. Tuesday to 4 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23. Drivers should use caution and watch for flaggers directing east- and westbound traffic through the intersections.
- Southbound I-17 will be narrowed to one lane from 10 p.m. Wednesday to 5 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 24.
- The southbound I-17 exit ramp at Pinnacle Peak Road remains closed through Sunday, Nov. 17. Drivers on southbound I-17 should use the Jomax Road exit instead and follow signs for the detour routes.
- An 11-foot vehicle-width restriction remains in place on north- and southbound I-17 between Pinnacle Peak and Happy Valley roads.
ADOT reminds those who live, work and travel in the project area to plan for on- and off-ramp closures at I-17 and Pinnacle Peak Road through early 2020; another full closure of I-17 and of Pinnacle Peak Road in mid-November; and temporary reconfigurations of the frontage roads between Deer Valley and Pinnacle Peak roads. Learn more and see a flier with detour information here.
Crews are building a diverging diamond traffic interchange at Happy Valley Road in conjunction with an interchange reconstruction project that will improve safety and ease traffic congestion in the area. The project also includes building a new tight diamond interchange at Pinnacle Peak Road. The project is scheduled for completion in fall 2020.