The City of Phoenix’s Street Transportation Department’s mission is to, “Provide for the safe, efficient and convenient movement of people and goods within the city and support citywide infrastructure projects to improve the quality of life in Phoenix.” Understanding the importance of safety as a core function of the department, and due to recent data trending in a negative direction, Phoenix is investing in a comprehensive Road Safety Action Plan (RSAP) that will further the city’s current efforts and provide a framework and key strategies for safety enhancements citywide. To do so, they are asking for resident input.
“The City of Phoenix Street Transportation Department is working to improve safety for all users of its roadways and is developing a Road Safety Action Plan,” explains Gregg Bach, senior public information officer. “City staff is currently facilitating the public engagement phase of that process. Community members are encouraged to provide input that will help shape the plan by taking an online interactive survey.”
To participate and take the virtual survey, visit phoenix.gov/streets/roadsafety. The survey will remain live through next month.
What will the Road Safety Action Plan do?
• Conduct a comprehensive evaluation of data and current conditions.
• Establish a clear vision and mission to unite residents, stakeholders, and staff across multiple city departments with a common goal.
• Determine a High Injury Network (HIN) that identifies problem locations and helps determine solutions and prioritization.
• Create new and modernize existing safety evaluation tools.
• Provide a system of recommendations that respond to data and public input, and connect to the four E’s of Traffic Safety: Evaluation, Engineering, Enforcement, and Education.
The interactive, virtual survey is now available to Phoenix residents until February. The feedback given during that period will help the City of Phoenix identify safety concerns and priorities for roadway users. The information will then be gathered into the RSAP, which will be complete later this year.
To learn more about the City of Phoenix Road Safety Action Plan, view project materials, and to join the email distribution list, visit the project website at phoenix.gov/RoadSafety.
For more information or questions, contact the project team at RoadSafety@phoenix.gov or 602-262-6284.